2020 has been a difficult year for endurance sports events due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. We have seen all in person events since mid March canceled or postponed. While we miss working with both event directors and athletes, we understand that this pause in events is critical for the health and safety of all.
We have been busy planning for the future of event timing
While we are not out of the woods yet, we are seeing promising trends and are hopeful we will be able to get back out there soon. We are working with each event individually to determine if it can be hosted in a safe manner that conforms to all local, state, and CDC recommendations, regulations, and laws.
While we do not produce or manage events, we do work very closely with event directors providing timing and technology services as well as offering recommendations on best practices.
The safety and health of participants, volunteers, and Superior Timing Staff is of utmost importance to us. If we believe an event can not be safely held we will work with Event Directors to modify, reschedule, or cancel an event.
Below are some of the items on our COVID-19 action plan you may see in events we work with.
- Ensure event will follow all local, state, and CDC recommendations, regulations, and laws
- Ensure all guidelines for social distancing and group size are able to be followed
- Ensure Event Director has appropriate training and PPE for all staff and volunteers
- Ensure Event Director has an effective communication strategy
- Encourage participants and spectators to complete the CDC COVID-19 Self-Checker before traveling to an event
Registration and Packet-Pickup and Event Venue
- Our goal is to minimize person-to-person contact during Registration and Packet-Pickup process
- We will encourage all participants and spectators to wear a face mask while they are in close proximity to others and not racing.
- Increase of signage to promote good personal health and social distancing habits
- We will discourage all in-person race-day registration by working with event directors to offer online registration on race day when possible
- Streamline the packet pickup process to minimize the number of person-to-person contact points
- Ensuring the cleaning and disinfecting of common areas and equipment meets or exceeds the strictest recommended guidelines
Race Start and Finish Areas
- Some events will offer wave start or rolling starts to minimize gatherings of people in the start area
- While we are not involved in aid-stations, you may notice changes in how aid-stations operate, or may not be offered during the current COVID-19 pandemic
- Discourage gathering areas near the finish of the event.
- Encourage Participants to leave the venue after completing the event.
Results & Awards Ceremonies
- In order to promote social distancing and discourage gatherings of people, we will not be recommending in-person Awards Ceremonies
- As always we will provide Live-to-Internet results when ever possible
- Provide Emailed Results at the completion of the event
- In order to minimize gatherings of people, we will discontinue printing of result receipts for most events
- We will encourage participants to leave the event once they have finished their race
This list is not comprehensive of all policies and procedures Superior Timing may implement. Superior Timing will work with each event to best implement a COVID-19 action plan for the safety and health of participants, volunteers, and staff. Each individual event will produce their own COVID-19 action plan and Superior Timing will only work with events that we believe to provide a safe and healthy environment.